Your BMW is designed to provide you with exceptional performance for years to come. Specialized technicians, quality BMW parts and tools are all keys to ensure your BMW performs at optimal performance. Finding a quality BMW repair shop that won’t put a dent in your pocket can be difficult, but they do exist. BMW owners should be mindful of the types of service centers out there, their experience and their overall quality of work. To help BMW owners find the perfect service center, we’ve created 10 things to look for when reviewing a BMW Service Center.
Here are the 10 Things to Look for When Reviewing a BMW Repair & Service Shop:
1. BMW Auto Experience: To properly service and repair your BMW, it’s critical for the technicians working on your vehicle to have the experience and specialized training specific to BMW. The same decision process on which dealership to buy your BMW model from should be used when selecting a BMW service and repair partner. In most cases, general auto repair shops are discouraged as they may not give the time and attention your BMW needs. For example, you wouldn’t go to a foot doctor for brain surgery.
2. Equipment and Tools: To properly work on your BMW vehicle, it’s critical that technicians have access to BMW specific diagnostic equipment and tools. The diagnostics and control systems on your BMW are specific to your vehicle and can only be accurately read with an up-to-date BMW diagnostic system. Many quality shops invest thousands of dollars to maintain BMW specific diagnostic equipment.
3. Time in Business: You should always consider how long a facility has been in business when selecting a BMW service partner. Many fly-by-night shops claim to have quality tools and facilities, however usually over price services and parts costing the customers much more.
4. Customer Feedback and Reviews: It’s recommended to look at what other BMW owners are saying when selecting a service partner. Ask around, check the websites, read online reviews and most importantly stop by and visit with the owner or manager of the facility.
5. Quality Parts: Be sure that your service partner has direct access to genuine BMW parts. Very few service providers that claim to use OEM parts have access to BMW genuine parts. A good question to ask a service provider is: Do you have access to all BMW parts including TRP or Theft Relevant Parts such as shifters, transmission and engine control modules and keys? These items must be programmed specifically to your vehicle and require special equipment and authorization from BMW.
6. Expert Staff: Take the time to meet the shop foreman and understand the experience of the service facility’s staff. This shouldn’t be a secret and most shop owners will gladly introduce you to the person working on your model.
7. Facility Type: Take the time to stop in and visit with the owner and look around the service facility. Is it neat, clean and organized? This is a good way to understand the efficiency of the service provider.
8. BBB Rating: Check their Better Business Bureau ratings and other certifications. Shops that maintain an AAA+ rating year after year are certainly places you can trust.
9. Convenience and Location: Being without your vehicle for service and repair is an inconvenience! Be sure to select a facility that provides complimentary concierge services or other accommodations to take you to and from work, home or where you need to be. Additionally, some advanced shops can provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle by appointment or arrange rental vehicle services.
10. Warranty of BMW: In the event you should have an issue down the road, ensure that your service partner offers manufacturer warranties of at least 1-year on all parts. This can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars later on.
We would love to make you part of the German Auto Center family! German Auto Center specializes in BMW models as well as German make models and offers a full-line of services like those mentioned above. If you are looking for a BMW repair shop in Austin, TX, please come by as visit us! Len Gilmore is the owner and operator of German Auto Center of Austin.
Have a question about your luxury automobile or does your model need special work? Please call us at (512) 452-6437 or ask us using the comment box below or on our German Auto Center Facebook page.
Check out our reviews!